Do you have family game night?? Does it tend to be scheduled? Or impromptu?
We have game night quite regularly. We are huge fans of card games and board games, and love to play them as a family.
Game night as a family is a great way to get everyone together, turn off all electronics and have fun. It will encourage communication, and will create memories that will last a lifetime.
Here are a few suggestions for a fun-filled family game night:
• Schedule it. If your home keeps a hectic schedule, mark it on the calendar so there are no excuses. Everyone is there.
• Keep it in the family. Leave the invites for friends and neighbors for another night. Make this night about your immediate family. To foster communication and comfort in your home.
• Avoid interruptions. Turn off the TV, laptops and iPhones. This time is all about the people in that room.
• Choose the right game. Make sure the game of choice is one everyone can enjoy. Take turns letting different family members choose the game. Giving children that responsibility will show them you trust them, helping to foster a sense of confidence. It’s a win-win.
• Use this as a teaching time. Whether children realize it or not, math, reading, and logic are all used in most games. It’s also a great time to reinforce social skills and manners – taking turns, good sportsmanship.
• Have fun! Just as the kids are to turn off the electronics, you as Mom and Dad are to turn off the never-ending-list-of-to-do’s. This is a time to enjoy every minute – as a family.
With thousands of games on the market today, the sky is the limit!